Thursday 25 March 2010

Meantime


Over the last few weeks I've mostly been spending my time at work. It suits me fine as I'm desperately greedy to lay my hands on as much money as possible and, for various reasons, I don't really enjoy being at 'home' these days. I've really settled in nicely with everyone who works there and, on a lot of levels I enjoy the job itself. After working other service jobs in my short life and having been around a few companies in retail, I can fully appreciate how good it is to work for Puma at South Wharf. There aren't many things to criticise and it's a lot more laidback than having to work in the 'boutique' type atmosphere I was in at Miss Sixty. After having proven myself quite capable of handling the day-to-day rigours of a standard retail job, the boss generally leaves me to my own devices. In the space of four to five weeks I've steadily had my hours increased, getting the pick of the shifts. I've normally been rostered in to work 20-25 hours, but with overtime and changing shifts it's been working out at 30-40 hours a week. So, a couple of days ago I got the news that I'd been offered a full-time contract. I duly accepted and I start next week. This is the best news I could've hoped for as my visa only allows me to work for a company for a maximum of six months and most employers weren't willing to employ me at all. The benefits are security and stability: I'm guaranteed 38 hours a week, over five days and two days off. I also get 2 weeks paid vacation - so when I go back to England I'll be getting paid for two weeks! I also get an increase in my uniform allowance that adds up to two free pairs of shoes and five free items of clothing of my choice. Pretty sweet! A bum like me couldn't ask for more.


The view of the Yarra and Melbourne from outside my work.

In other news, I've booked my flight home now and I can't wait for it. I'm going to have a month or so to hang out and take a break (go drinking and watch football). I can't wait to see all my friends and hang out with the Swedes who are coming to Manchester and I'm accompanying back to Sweden. I love the Swedes so much and, as always it's been too long that we've been apart!

In the mean-time I really need to be figuring out what I'm going to do. It doesn't seem like I'll be going to Toronto with Ingrid, or at least not initially. I'm still applying for my visa so I can go for a length of time that suits me. My heart just isn't in it at the moment, and I feel like I want to do something more for myself. I don't really know what my options are but I'd quite like to move to Scandinavia or Germany and learn a language. I'm 22 and still can't speak a foreign language, which is a bit ridiuculous. I feel like it's something I need to do and it will prepare me for going back to university to study history. I don't know what it is about Northern Europe that intrigues, excites and fulfils me but there is definitely something there. Just like the passion I have for history and completing a degree in it - I don't think it would be a bad idea to go with it and see what happens. It's scary to be so unsure of the future and what I'm going to with myself, but it's also exciting. I don't have many commitments so it gives me a wide-scope to sit down and think about what I want to do. I know for a fact that I'm not ready to throw myself into any serious commitments career-wise. The problem is I feel that I've been fucking around in Australia, wasting a year where I could have been learning something solid. On the other hand, (and most importantly) I've got to be with Ingrid all this time, been to many new places for me, lived in a foreign country and been learning life-lessons all this time. So now, being here, I'd like to choose somewhere else I'd want to be and learn something new, something more tangible and see where that takes me.

I'm still writing away, but as ever, it's mostly just ideas. I really need to get myself into gear and throw something down on paper, good or bad. I'm keeping my mind sharp by reading as well. I'm currently reading a sterling biography of Ian Fleming by Andrew Lycett, to keep my ever-thirsty Bond fix satisfied. I'm also reading 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter' by Jeff Lindsay which is the first in the collection of Dexter books. I love the show so much I figured I'd give the books a try as well, and they are definitely not disappointing. I've realised that I primarily enjoy stories centred around strong protagonists so I've been trying to develop a profile of the main character of my proposed collection of short stories. I think it's important (for me at least) to keep being creative and satisfied with what I make instead of harbouring any grandois ideas of fame, glory and money. I wouldn't be adverse to any of those things, but for now I'm focusing on doing it for myself, to feel like I'm moving forward at least.

The lesser known, younger Fleming.

On an final note - one of the positives about having a job and pulling in the hours is the money. For the first time in a long while I truly feel like I've earnt and deserved the boozing at the end of the day. Here are a couple of pictures of me on the sauce and enjoying myself.

Julesy and I put away the first few of many that didn't see me get home until 7am the next morning. I've missed the early morning walks of shame.

Listening: A shit-load of Beatsteaks. I've rediscovered why I love them so dearly.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the happiness in this post! Espec the coming home, missing the Swedes and loving the Beatsteaks-parts. :)

    ReplyDelete